Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Beckhams Hospital Stay

What a cutie huh? So when we arrived at the Hospital they were running a few hours behind so Beckham didn't get into Surgery until about 11:45 instead of 9:30-10:00. But he didn't mind because when we went to his prep room, they had a TON of toys! Just look at this picture... He thought that was the coolest thing ever. Little did he know what was going to happen in a few minutes.

This is me and Beck buying time until he goes in.... we were playing with play-dough from his box of goodies.

This is his Doctor who performed the surgery. Beckham was so brave, the doctor came in and talked with us for a minute then said "Beck are you ready to go?" Then he just carried him back. Beckham didn't even cry for me or Justin. I'm bummed I didn't get to hug him... They said it's better to act like nothing is wrong so we didn't even hug him.

Then came the aftermath... What a sad thought. The nurse said that I would be able to go into recovery with him but they didn't let me. They just wheeled me into the hall in between the surgical room and the recovery room and all you could hear was Beckham screaming for me... That is one of the hardest things... when you want to comfort him but you can't. Finally they brought him to me and when we got to the room Justin wanted to hold him... This is them with Becks 3 favorite things in his words... "Lellow" (the blanket) "Giraffie" (his stuffed animal) and dad.

I kinda had a feeling that Beckham would be like me in recovery... in all of the surgeries I've had I'm almost always the first to go in and the last to leave. He wasn't doing too good the first day, he wouldn't drink or eat anything. This is him sleeping..

The next day He still wasn't eating and we were starting to get nervous.. The doctor said take out The IV and finally he started to drink a little. He really wanted fries to eat so I ordered some and he ate a few. Not wanting to stay in the Hospital another night I pleaded with The Nurse to let us go home... but she wouldn't budge... finally late that evening they let us go home on one condition... that if he wouldn't drink at home to bring him straight back. So we gladly took him home and The second we walked in The door he was eating and drinking as if he'd never got The surgery. We ate Pizza for Heavens sake.


aLeXis said...

Oh, he is such a DOLL. And what troopers ALL of you are. Such a hard thing to do, but you got through it :) You are such an AMAZING mom. All my love!

Bleu and Mickaela said...

Jamie, I haven't read your blog in so long. I'm sorry things are tough right now. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it? How are you doing? Catch me up! My email is